To relieve withdrawal symptoms from the end of The Great British Bake Off, my office has launched its very own baking challenge (minus the camera crew, Paul and Mary). This competition will see a delicious collection of cakey delights being cradled through the door each morning, much to the excitement and salivation of all who work here. I have been informed the only prize at stake is pride and gloating privileges – which is good enough for me, so here I am practicing recipes for the occasion.
I decided to attempt this blueberry and morello cherry cake because I love blueberry muffins, so a cake incorporating the flavour of these was always going to be a winner in my eyes. The cherries add a real kick of flavour, and the lemon drizzle makes the overall taste deliciously fruity without being overly sweet. This recipe is simple, fast and pretty much fool-proof. Best enjoyed with a nice cup of tea and your feet up, but if you happen to be at work 1 out of 2 is acceptable.
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 2 handfulls morello cherries, pitted (I used frozen)
- ½ cup of butter, cubed
- 1 ½ cups of plain flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup icing sugar
How to make:
- Wash the cherries and blueberries and preheat the oven to 155 degrees Celsius (Gas mark 4)
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Mix the butter with ½ a cup of sugar until fluffy in texture. Add the salt and egg yolks and beat until creamy.
- Add 1 ½ cups of flour with the baking powder alternately with the milk. Coat the berries in 1tbspn flour (to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake whilst cooking) and add them to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add ¼ cup of sugar, combine and then fold this into the batter.
- Add mixture to a greased cake tin and cook for around 50 minutes, or until cake test shows a clean prong
- Combine the icing sugar with the lemon juice and drizzle over the cake once it is completely cooled. Finish with some extra berries.