This is a recipe from Mummy McKenna which always reminds me of home. There is nothing better than waking up to the smell of a freshly-baked batch when I visit and they make getting out of bed much more bearable. Delicious served oven warm with butter or be a little more adventurous and add marmite as my big brother does.
- 8oz (225g )self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2oz (50g) cubed butter
- 3oz (75g) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pint of milk, plus a little extra for brushing on top of scones
How to make:
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 7 (220 electric)
- Grease a baking tray
- Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add the butter and rub in between fingers until mixture resembles
- fine breadcrumbs,
- Add 2oz of the grated cheese and mix together with spoon,
- Gradually add the milk and mix to form a soft dough.
- Flour a surface and gently knead dough,
- Roll out to about 1cm thick and cut into 6-8 rounds
- depending on cutter.
- Transfer to baking tray and space apart.
- Brush the tops of scones with milk and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each scone.
- Bake in the top of oven for about fourteen minuites, until risen and golden
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.